Round & Round the Floyd vs. Manny Wheel Goes, Where It Stops? Freddie Knows!

It’s the most talked about fight of the decade and it’s not even official yet. Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao is on the tips of everyone’s tongues and everyone has already started to make boxing predictions. The most asked question by far is, “Where is the fight going to be?” Depending on who you are asking it seems the choices have been narrowed down to just 2 options, it’s either Dallas Texas and the brand new Jerry Jones’ Land Shark Stadium or Las Vegas and possibly an association of casino owners constructing a temporary 30,000-seat outdoor stadium on the Strip to host the welterweight title fight.

If you are asking Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach it appears he already has a sense for where the fight will end up. In an interview on Newsday.com Roach said, “We don’t really care where it goes,I feel like it’s a Vegas fight, to be honest with you. There’s no way Mayweather will fight in Texas.”

Why won’t Mayweather fight in Texas? You know the answer to that. Texas is known for bad decisions and flat out highway robbery and according to Roach, Mayweather wants no part of that.

“The thing is that Nevada is as fair as can be,” Roach said. “I mean, Nevada has bad decisions, too, sometimes. Let’s face it. It’s part of boxing. It’s opinions. The thing is I think the referee is really important in this fight because the referee can really [influence things].”

I don’t want to read into “things” but maybe Freddie knows that if you keep the fight out of Texas you keep the fight away from referee Laurence Cole who has had his hands in more than his fare share of questionable fights.

And although I wrote recently that the promoters may throw a monkey wrench into the works, to Roach there is very little doubt the fight will come together as expected. “He’s going to take it,” Roach said of Mayweather. “Where else is he going to go for the money he needs to make?”

There has been an outcry from many in the boxing community for this fight to end up in Dallas to give as many boxing fans as possible the chance to see this one live, but something tells me that Freddie may have the inside track on the location of this one.

When discussing fight strategy Roach stated, ”We’ve got to set traps. We can’t just walk into Mayweather’s traps.”

I know a lot of you don’t want to hear it but there is a huge piece of cheese sitting on the Strip in Vegas right now and the trap is already set. A couple more greedy nibbles and like a hungry mouse this fight will be snared by the trap.

The trap is that for better or for worse ALL the big money fights inevitably end up in Las Vegas.

Check out www.Pound4Pound.com for all the latest boxing news.

7 Responses to “Round & Round the Floyd vs. Manny Wheel Goes, Where It Stops? Freddie Knows!”

1. Frank Boff says:

You dont stay on top of the news. A day ago the Dallas boxing commission said it would allow all neutral officials for this fight. You’re news is behind the times.

2. William Trillo says:

I love the grass roots uprising to get this fight in Dallas, they won’t hear anything that lends itself to the fact that Las Vegas is clearly in the lead to secure this fight.

Floyd doesn”t care if they allow neutral officials and the ghost of Arthur Mercante is the referee, he just does not want to fight in Dallas!!

DIG?

3. D Miller says:

Hey Boff-oon,
    Do you live in Dallas or are you just some delusional clutz that thinks fight fans will converge on Texas if the fight ends up there? No one but you and a few anti-Vegas yo-yo’s want this fight in Texas. Thanks for your 2 cents but keep your pennies and go rope a calf or do whatever it is you do when you are not giving the world your lame and ill conceived opinions.

4. Juan Salgado says:

does any one who starts to crying about this fight in texas live in dallas? i think no. so shut up your mouths.

5. BoneCrusher says:

Texas? That would be a great place for a superstar Mexican fighter to fight, but c’mon! A Maweather fight in Texas? That would be like Pavlick going to Mexico and expecting a sell out. My opinion the two logical places that would draw sell outs would be Staples Center and Vegas.

6. Al Ammo says:

Survivor, Texas Style

Due to the popularity of the Survivor shows, Texas is planning to do its own, entitled Survivor – Texas Style. The contestants will start in Dallas, travel to Waco, Austin, San Antonio, over to Houston and down to Brownsville. They will then proceed up to Del Rio, on to El Paso, then to Midland, Odessa, Lubbock and Amarillo. From there, they’ll proceed to Abilene, Ft. Worth and finally back to Dallas.

Each will be driving a pink Volvo with bumper stickers that read, “I’m gay”, “I’m a vegetarian”, “I voted for Al Gore”, “George Strait Sucks”, “Hillary in 2008″, and “I’m here to confiscate your guns!” The first one to make it back to Dallas alive wins.

7. David says:

I live in Dallas. And I don’t think the fight belongs here. But that’s just me, I use common sense when I think about things. The fight isn’t coming here even if a few blowhards think it might. Neither fighter wants it there either.