In Support Of Kelly Pavlik

The rumors of former Middleweight Champ Kelly Pavlik having a problem with alcohol have been running their course for quite some time now, at least a couple of years. But with every injury delay or complete pull-out of fights, Pavlik’s team was quick to dismiss any suggestion of alcohol dependency.

On November 4th of this year Pavlik admitted himself into The Betty Ford Clinic and the hope is he will recover from this debilitating disease of alcoholism. Any thoughts of Pavlik as a fighter must be put on a shelf until Kelly is comfortable and stable with his sobriety, and not a moment sooner.

As I read through the press releases and articles posted this week I was stunned to find out that Pavlik had once before checked himself into rehab and stayed for a mere 2 weeks. 10 days later Pavlik was standing across the ring from Sergio Martinez with his middleweight title on the line!

10 days later!

How anyone close to him allowed him to get in the ring that night may seem inconceivable, but a good part of the denial in an alcoholics life comes from those closest to him, they are more commonly known as enablers. Instead of seeing their loved one with a problem, and someone in need of help, they turn a blind eye to the situation and hope it will correct itself on its own. Meanwhile the alcoholic is allowed to stumble along his way.

Quotes from Pavlik’s Father are sincere and show a pattern that is similar in these situations. “You always assume it’s just going to go away,” he said. “You think it’s just a temporary thing and that it’s going to pass. I was making excuses to cover the problem. I realize that. I’m a parent and I love my son and like any parent, I was trying to be protective.”

Pavlik’s Father acted the same way any parent would; no one can blame him for that. But when things got very bad he did the right thing and sat down with his son. Pavlik shared, “We had that long conversation [earlier this month] and after about eight hours, he decided he needed to do this.”

There is no doubt that this is exactly where Kelly needs to be right now and hopefully he will chose to stay much longer than the 2 week he did the last time.

Kelly’s manager Cameron Dunkin said that Pavlik wasn’t determined to be chemically dependent upon alcohol in the spring, but he has been declared dependent during this stint. Dunkin said Pavlik plans to remain in treatment for as long as necessary in order to permanently resolve his problem. “Three months, six months, whatever it takes, he’s going to do it,” Dunkin said.

I am sure Dunkin has Kelly’s best interest in mind but really, Three months? Six months?

Recovery is a life long process. If you are expecting Pavlik to come out and be “cured” you are doing yourself and more importantly you are doing Kelly a huge disservice. And whoever determined Pavlik wasn’t chemically dependant on alcohol in the spring but now has declared him to be dependent….I’d like to have a long talk with that person. His life was out of control and spiraling for 3 years…ipso facto…he has a huge problem with booze….chemically dependent ???? You are kidding me, right?

In the past after I wrote an article about one of Dunkin’s fighters he was quick to call to tell me I didn’t know what the hell I was talking about! I am sure that’s a thought shared by many of my readers through the years, but on this one I assure you…I know exactly what I am talking about!

I’ll spare you the details but 23 years ago I was drowning in a sea of alcohol. I lost my wife, daughter, house and job because I made booze the most important thing in my life. After 2 stints in rehab and countless support groups I finally found my way. I found my higher power in Jesus Christ and I am proud to say I am coming up on 21 years of sobriety. It wasn’t easy at first but the rewards have been plentiful. There is no reason why Kelly or anyone can not become sober; it’s just a matter of how bad you want it.

I hope and pray that Kelly will find his way and can become a positive contributor to society, whether or not he ever returns to the ring again.

Check out www.Pound4Pound.com for all the latest boxing news.

12 Responses to “In Support Of Kelly Pavlik”

1. jeff taylor says:

Amazing article! You and me have disagreed in the past for sure but I’ve always enjoyed your insight. To put yourself out there like that is brave and shows your are not scared to talk about your flaws. You are an amazing writer and show concern and clear thoughts about Kelly outside of boxing and that shows your a good person. I wish I could talk to you more about boxing and pick your brain on todays fighters and fighters of yestyears. Good luck and continue to keep writing your blogs you have found a reader for as long as your on here. If you every want to talk boxing just to me you could email me at jeff.taylor@dako.com.

2. jeff taylor says:

3. jeff taylor says:

4. William Trillo says:

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words!

5. Luis M. Cadiz says:

Great article!!! Admitting your former state and how Jesus made the change in your life is highly commendable. I too am Christian and the He has made the difference in my life, my family, my job, my everything… Because He means everything to me. I pray for Pavlik and hope that he has a life changing experience just as you and I have had… and many, many others as well.
    Good night and God Bless Always…

6. William Trillo says:

Thanks Luis! :)

7. Dave Wilcox says:

Bill,

Outstanding and heartfelt article my friend. Thank you for your honesty and emotion.

great stuff and best of luck to Kelly. First and foremost I hope he gets well. We’ll worry about boxing later.

8. Dave Murphy says:

I wish nothing but the best for Kelly, but I think the comment from Dunkin about “three months, six months” like that was FOREVER AND A DAY, shows a genuine misunderstanding of the disease at Best, and at Worst a total lack of regard for him as a person in trying to make money off him. I’m not sure which, but neither is good.

They put him in the Ring irresponsibly at least once and this magnamous gesture by Dunkin that they might take all the way to May (if they HAVE to) isn’t exactky reassuring they won’t do it again. Getting completely away from Boxing sounds like a wonderful idea, because the people in it apparently don’t realize this isn’t like a physical injury.

Thanks for sharing your own story, it added weight to your words that you’ve been through hell and back yourself, and know it’s not just a few months journey and there’s never a true end to road for the rest of your life. Congrats on your 21 years of sobriety, I hope that Kelly Pavlik can join you there as well.

9. William Trillo says:

Thanks again guys.

I agree Dunkin’s comments appear to be coming from a guy whose agenda is his bank account first and everything else second. Unlike the story that I wrote about one of his fighters that he was quick to inform me I didn’t know what I was talkiing about, on this one he has apparently taken a vow of silence. AKA, Pleading The 5th.

10. Scotty Crouse says:

Thanks for the article, Will. Reminds us that Kelly should be treated as a person first, and a fighter second. He’s a husband, father, son, friend and so on. Too often we talk about these guys as if they’re racehorses and not human beings. I wish nothing but the best for Kelly and his family. If he never fights again but conquers his alcoholism then he’s a champion in my book.

11. Dave Wilcox says:

amen, scotty

12. William Trillo says:

The outpouring of concern for Kelly is touching. I thank you all for your continued support.