Photo-Chop: Bret “The Threat”

Ifs

IF Bob Arum and Top Rank think they are doing anyone any favors by offering Manny Pacquioa vs. Timothy Bradley in Las Vegas on June 9th to “Sin-City” high rollers & PPV customers only, they are gravely mistaken.

IF the promoters don’t want to admit it someone has to. Boxing is threatening to become a niche sport and it desperately needs to build a new fan base.

IF the two biggest stars in boxing, Pacquiao and Mayweather only fight on PPV, and once or twice a year at best, how will boxing climb out of the deep hole it has dug for itself?

IF they, (the greedy promoters), keep holding fights in Las Vegas, where the majority of tickets go to the wealthy and high rollers on casino comps, and they take virtually every big fight and put it on PPV in an economy that is hurting, how can they rebuild their fan base?

IF they keep putting the sport behind the green wall of ca$h where only the rich and well off will be able to climb over it, how will good World Championship boxing become accessible to fans from every class of every demographic?

IF they put more top fights on regular HBO & Showtime, fans will flock to the screen and interest and the much needed buzz will build.

Ands

AND correct me if I am wrong, but the Super Bowl and the NFL playoffs are not on PPV. Ditto for the MLB playoffs and the NBA. The biggest events in those sports are free. Is it any wonder that over 100 million watched the Giants-Patriots Super Bowl, and new fans were created in droves?

AND it’s hard to question that boxing is the worst run sport in all of sports, even worse than the NCAA. The inmates (promoter’s & fighters) are running the asylum.

AND for all the power of HBO, the greedy fighters and promoters force them into putting fights on PPV and are ruining the sport.

AND every city in America is filled with young kids, ghetto kids, trying to escape, and they fall in love with boxing. How ironic and despicable it is that these kids, who adore boxing, cannot watch the best fights because they can barely afford to buy food. Wake up Boxing and smell the thorns.

Butts

BUT, boxing will not learn from its mistakes and will keep putting shows like Pacquiao vs. Bradley on PPV. Does anyone think this fight will not end badly? If I was a betting man I would put my hard earned money on this fight ending by a technical decision because it ain’t going the distance. I fully expect Timothy Bradley to do what he does best, and that’s using his bulbous head as a battering ram that will butt and open up a vicious cut over Pacquiao’s eye that will force an early stoppage. This fight is destined to go to the scorecards early and boxing fans who shell out their dollars will have to suffer through another fight that will come to an untimely and controversial end.

Check out www.Pound4Pound.com for all the latest boxing news.

12 Responses to “Pacquiao vs. Bradley Should Not Be PPV No Ifs, Ands or BUTT’s About It (Well Maybe Just A Few)”

1. Mark says:

There are several big problems that have no fix and a couple that you don’t even mention

1) Euro hatred: Ironic that in the NBA where two of the biggest names in the NBA (Dirk Nowitzki & Yao Ming) were foreign, American boxing refuses to give Russian, German, or any European fighter proper due or TV exposure. Even the UFC is going out of its way to hyping some of their foreign fighters. Meanwhile Ken Herschman has let us down by stating that the Heavyweight division (Ironically the only division Golden Boy and Top Rank have no power over) is not going to be shown on TV. Dmitry Pirog, Gennaldy Golvokin, Felix Sturm, Kevin Mitchell, Nathan Cleverly and Dennis Boytsov are world champions whom can’t even be mentioned on TV.

2) Arum & Golden Boy’s hissy fit; I admit I was hoping and banking that Ken Hershman would get the stones to tell Richard and Bob the one word we want to tell them…NO! No, you two cannot keep acting like two spoiled brats fighting over the pony, no you cannot give us garbage fights, No you cannot freeze out other promoters and pull this crap. But so far Herschman is basically playing it safe and letting both men continue their damn charade.

3) HBO=Wizard of OZ: You can hate on the UFC but give them credit in that they don’t try to make stars from guys who are not. JC Chavez Jr is not a star, not a real world champion and yet HBO tries to make him into the next big thing. Saul Alvarez is basically a fringe contender/prospect and according to the power’s that be the greatest thing since sliced bread. And now the latest ones are Nonito Donaire (Good boxer but not invincible) Brandon Rios and even to some extent Adrien Broner are beiong called the next big thing and yet they have not faced a great line up.

If the NFL, UFC and MLB slogan would be “Have it your way” in that they ask fans what they want and try to make it happen Boxing in America’s slogan should be “Shut up and take it bitch”

People asking questions lost in confusion,
    Well I tell them there’s no problem,
    Only solutions.

John Lennon

There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

George Bernard Shaw

Seeing problems and assuming they have no fix is the cowards way out.

Of course there are problems I did not mention, and there are more than the ones you added. I just picked some that seemed pertinent for the article and moved forward.

Throwing the UFC in there with the NFL and the MLB is revolting. But coming from you I would expect nothing more.

You made a decent point or two Mark ( I won’t ban you this time) but your last paragraph is ridiculous.

3. Mark says:

And once again you disparage the UFC.

I get you hate it and you are not their target audience.

Bottom line though if you will never get the fights you want and HBO and Showtime treat the boxing fans like lepers at a ritz dance club. Basically stay out of sight and mind… THEY WANT TO MAKE STALLONE, WALLBERG AND DENZEL HAPPY!

Do me this Bill… give me your ten dream fights you want to see… and I bet you 10 to 1 that they won’t get made due to HBO or Showtime, Golden Boy or Arum, or something getting made.

Hell even the rest of the boxing world gets it and they make fights fans want to see.. US Promoters… well get ready for Nonito Donaire vs. Pacquiao in 2013!!!

Mark….disparage the UFC? I didn’t give them the time of day in my article. You are the one coming in comparing them to the NFL AND MLB.

You don’t get it! I do not hate the UFC, We are a boxing website and have little or no time for MMA related news.

I am neither full of body ink that I will come to regret later in life nor do I have a javelin slammed through my lip. I also am not some upper-middle class spoiled white kid who lives off Daddy’s dime until he passes when I will then waste all of his hard earned money on fast cars and fast women. So you are correct, I am not their “target” audience.

Give you my ten dream fights? Homey don’t play dat.

One more step up in weight and Nonito is finished. He and Manny will never happen.

This is a problem that is confined almost exclusively to America. The rest of the world is doing just fine, and is learning to get along without much input from America. In Britain, there are several PPV fights per year at the most. The rest of the world title fights are shown on a mixture of regular cable and regular TC channels. I expect the same applies in mainland Europe. In Thailand, I get to watch PPV events from America on my regular cable TV network without paying any premium.

Fighters outside America get paid a little less, but the wider audience they reach means their income is not diminished very much. Ricky Hatton, Joe Calzaghe, Amir Hhan and even contenders like Tyson Fury could fill any stadium in the UK for almost any fight. The Klitschkos, Felix Sturm and Arthur Abraham could do likewise in Germany.

America is still an important market in world boxing, but it’s no longer indispensable.

Is it really a coincidence the

Is it really a coincidence the………..?

7. Mark says:

Manny vs. Nonito will probably happen simply because Bob is runing out of options. Look at whom he has gone through; David Diaz, Joshua Clottey, JM Marquez, Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosely, Tim Bradley, and Antonio Margarito.

That leaves the Brandon Rios, Yurirokis Gamboa, Juanma Lopez, Mike Jones and Donaire. And with Rios and Gamboa on a collision course and Lopez on self destruction watch the options are either Mike Jones (a guy whom might end up getting to big for Manny) or Donaire (which Bob then sends to Macao and where the target boxing fans will go { i.e. over 45+, Mexican/Filipino, and more likely to play poker.)

As far as the UFC once again YOU ARE MISSING THE DAMN POINT! One group makes cards that are rich with competitive fights, go to big venues (Atlanta, East Rutherford NJ, San Paolo, Sydney and Fairfax) another basically puts every event in Las Vegas.

One group signed a 7 year 700 Million dollar deal with FOX to broadcast their events… the other is stuck on premium cable and shunned by mainstream broadcast cable because of the corrupt nature.

And as far as the fans go (BTW you sound like Bob Arum) they are Young fans, new fans and from that 18-40 demographic that every group wants.

I argued that boxing networks should grab a hotshot NFL marketing guy to help tap into the new network, but as long as Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr are around, Arum and Golden Boy will use HBO and Showtime as their personal ATM machines.

I hate to say this… boxing already is a NICHE SPORT!

It’s YOU WHO IS MISSING THE DAMN POINT…we are not and will never be a UFC/MMA site.

I personally could not give a rats ass about the UFC or your opinions.

Regrettably, we all can’t be as hip and trendy as you Mark.

I am asking nicely, please go away.

9. Mark says:

This has nothing to do with UFC!

This has to do with boxing being unable to relate or care about its fans. Its about how boxing as regressed since the days of Leonard/Hagler/Hearns/Duran. Its about how two men (Arum & Schafer) can hold two networks, hundreds of fighters and millions of fans hostage because of a damn pissing war.

The sport you love has become the joke of the sports world. The fact that Manny vs. Floyd can’t get made; The fact that there have been brawls that have force big arena’s to ban boxing (Bowe vs. Golotta); The fact that no big cable network (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX) wants this sport on its major network.

Forget about MMA/UFC… focus on this… this sport needs to be blown up in order for it to be saved. And right now the powers at HBO and Showtime are not willing to do that. A fight like Froch vs. Bute was passed on by Showtime & HBO but Chavez vs. Rubio gets put on HBO WCB.

That is the damn point.

10. Jason says:

So Bill how does boxing stop being ignored in the US? And what is the chance it becomes a niche sport after Manny and Floyd reitre?

If….and….butt…