This Weekend Was “Heavy” Man

When it comes to describing the goings on in boxing this weekend, most notably in the heavyweight division, you have to reach way back to the 1960′s slang word for the term “heavy”. When the hippies back in the day said something was heavy, they meant it was either, deep, cool, chaotic, sad and/or controversial.

I can’t think of a better way to describe the events that went down this weekend.

Deep

I am not sure what Jesus “Martillo” Gonzalez was thinking last week when he called out the background and criminal past of his foe Adonis Stevenson. Maybe he was trying to get deep inside the head of “Superman” in the hopes he could take him out of his game. That obviously did not work as Stevenson brutalized Gonzalez before he knocked him out before the first round came to an end.

Cool

As a fan of Heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko I am glad that the big guy did not allow an early shoulder injury against Chisora from stopping him from winning a clear unanimous decision. Since the shoulder injury to Chris Byrd back in 2000 there are more than a few haters who labeled Vitali a quitter. By working through the pain I believe this should shut a lot of Klitscko haters mouths, and to me that’s pretty cool!

Speaking of cool…I do not know how Vitali’s brother Wladimir kept his after Chisora spit a mouthful of water in his face from point blank range only moments before the fight began.

Chaotic

The post-fight press conference in Germany this weekend was the epitome of chaos. While Vitali and Chisora were at the podium, former champ David Haye started mouthing off to Chisora. Not being shy Chisora left the podium and made his way toward Haye who was barking from the back of the room. The fisticuffs ensued and it seemed like a full round of action took place before the room was restored to order. In the melee Haye landed one of the best blows I have seen him land in quite some time.

Sad

I don’t know if any one saw the post fight interview with Cristobal Arreola since it was buried on Showtimes “Extreme” network. If you missed it, in an interview with Jim Gray, Arreola tried to close by slipping in the fact that he thought, and I quote, “Don King is an f…ing racist!” Gray tried to cut off Arreola before he could spout his thoughts but the words were clearly audible.

I am sure that there are a handful of thugs and Raider fans who think Arreola is pretty funny, but the fact is his actions are very sad.

Here is a guy who I once thought was America’s hope for a world champion. But sadly Arreola remains his own worst enemy and it’s actions like that, that will keep him fighting on second rate networks for much less than six figures.

It doesn’t do him any good to surround himself with a posse that not only condones his actions but joins in on his “fun”.

Sad…very sad!

Controversial

If you are looking for controversy you need look no further than the decision rendered in the Tavoris Cloud vs. Gabrial Campillo Light Heavyweight title fight on Saturday night.

After going down twice in round one Campillo regained his composure and schooled Cloud over the next 11 rounds. He was clearly in command and a bloody Cloud had no answer for the repeated combo’s that were landing of his face.

Yet, when the fight went to the scorecards somehow the judges in the great state of Texas gave Cloud a split decision victory.

They say things are bigger in Texas and I am sure if you ask Tavoris he would have to agree. He was given the biggest gift possible when his hand was raised in victory.

Check out www.Pound4Pound.com for all the latest boxing truth.

8 Responses to “This Weekend Was “Heavy” Man”

I was very unimpressed by what happened at the Klitschko-Chisora post fight press conference, but Haye definitely did not start the proceedings by mouthing off at Chisora. It was Klitschko’s trainer who got Haye involved when he saw him at the back of the crowd (Haye had been hired by a TV station to provide commentary) and told him there would be no fight between him and Vitali. Then Chisora got involved and things turned very ugly.

I see a golden future for Chisora. In wrestling.

I agree David but I do have one minor correction. That guy who started the nonsense was not the trainer but rather their manager, Bernd Boente. He is basically the front man for both Klitschko’s and if you want a piece of them you normally have to go thru him. Boente is interesting to say the least, he has no problem saying whatever he feels.

I’d love to see Chisora come over he and fight the other soon to be wrestling star, Cris Arreola.

3. Mark says:

In fairness to Boente, both Haye and Chisora have behaved like thugs and cowards (spitting, slapping, offensive t-shirts… they give soccer hooligans a bad name) and basically decided to have johson measuring contest over their stupidity.
    As far as Arreola, this is when Showtime or HBO has to open up the purse strings and get him a fight with either Eddie Chambers, Tomasz Adamek or Wladimir. Its tought to be motivated constantly when your taking on guys whom are barely sparring part levels.
    And yes Bill I know Chris has to get in shape but when HBO says it is “staying out of the heavyweight game” because of boring fights (yet goes all in with Floyd for all these years).
    BTW Stevenson looks like a beat and would love to see him in against Librado Andrade or Rodriguez/George winner.

Bernd is an interesting fellow to say the least but you can’t take away from the fact that he has a very good job.

No comment on Haye or Chisora.

Easy solution for Arreola…demand to fight the best.

Adonis vs. any of those guys is a very likely possibilty.

It’s unlikely Chisora will box again unless he leaves Britain (please). The British Boxing Board of Control have indicated he’s going to get a very long ban. The UK’s looked after Chisora for 12 years. It’s time another country took up the burden.

I spoke to a member of Goossen today and told him I loved the idea of Arreola vs. Chisora here in the states.

Let’s see…how does that go…..
    “Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

7. Mark says:

Is Chisora any worse than guys whom assault referee’s (Judah) bite people’s ears off (Tyson) assault baby momas (Floyd Mayweather) or other shennanigans?

Hell two of Bill’s favorite fighters Erik Morrales & Marco Barrera got into a brawl during a PRESS CONFERENCE before their second or third fight.

Chisora will be accepted just like Andrew Golota was… happily by some promoter whom can make a buck off him.

Mark….when did I proclaim Erik or Marco as my faves?

Although I did love it when Marco put the beatdown on Hamed and Erik’s comeback surprised me, they are far from my faves as you said, I have called out Erik for his weight issues and no one was harder on Barrera than me when he skinned his gloves in Juarez 2.

Mark…quit throwing crap against the wall hoping it will stick.