Both Huerta & The Ring Fall On Fight Night

Story & Photos By Roy & Marlene Marquez
& A Few Photos by William Trillo

On an eventful night of action in downtown Los Angeles, 2,276 fight fans packed Club Nokia to see an array of Southern California boxing hopefuls ply their trade in search of victory. What they witnessed was hard to fathom in more ways than one.

Derrick Wilson shocked the house by knocking out crowd favorite Charles Huerta in the first round of their featherweight bout. Wilson (5-1-1) landed a devastating hook that put Huerta (11-1) on the seat of his pants. “He caught me with a good shot”, said Huerta following the fight. “But my legs were responding and I think the referee should have let me continue.” Huerta was unable to get to his feet and was counted out by referee Raul Caiz Sr.

Former national amateur champion Carlos Molina battered Eber Perez for the better part of four light welterweight rounds before referee Jerry Cantu stopped the assault at 2:39 of the fourth. Molina (8-0) used his complete arsenal of punches against Perez (9-13-1), staggering the New York based fighter in the second and third rounds.

Perez proved his mettle by staying upright until the end but was over-matched against Molina who is now 8-0. At the time of the stoppage Perez was out on his feet.

Southpaw prospect Luis Ramos Jr., dropped Sandro Marcos (29-20-2) twice in the first round before stopping the cagey veteran in the sixth. It looked to be a short night for Ramos (12-0) when he flattened Marcos with a pair of right hooks early in the lightweight contest. But the experienced Marcos adjusted and landed a few telling blows in the third and fourth rounds.

Ramos pressed the action by peppering Marcos with a steady diet of jab, left hand. Marcos slowed visibly in the fifth prompting referee Jerry Cantu to ask Marcos between rounds if he wanted to continue. Ramos must have smelled blood because he went after Marcos to open the sixth. A Ramos uppercut finished off Marcos 59 seconds into the sixth.

The first televised fight of the evening was interrupted for nearly 20 minutes when the ring post separated from the canvas. Once the ring was repaired the fight between heavyweights Herman Binek and Yohan Banks resumed with approximately a minute and a half remaining in the opening round.

Unfortunately, the fight wasn’t terribly more exciting than the ring repair and the Club Nokia fight crowd let the participants hear it. In the end, Binek improved to 8-1 with the unanimous decision over Banks (2-3-2).

Off-air bouts:

Featherweights Ronny Rios and Rodrigo Aranda opened the show with a four-round crowd pleaser. Aranda’s ring savvy caused Rios problems early, but not long. Rios began timing Aranda (8-10-2) landing rights and hooks.

In the third Rios dropped Aranda with a straight right in an otherwise tightly contested round. All three judges scored the bout identically, 40-35 in favor of Rios. With the victory Rios ran his unblemished record to 6 wins without a loss.

Coming off a tough loss in his last outing, Enrique Ornelas took a stay-busy fight against journeyman Roberto Baro (12-7). Ornelas (29-5) was never challenged in the super middleweight bout, dropping Baro with a body shot to close the third.

In the fourth Ornelas dropped Baro with another body shot. Referee Jerry Cantu immediately waived off the contest at 1:01 of the fourth.

Ricky Lopez won his fifth fight in five starts by spoiling Eder Peralta’s professional debut. Lopez earned the unanimous decision by landing the cleaner punches.

Peralta outworked Lopez but his aggression was mostly ineffective. The four-round fight was contested in the featherweight division.