Pound4Pound, Boxing News

  “Fast” Eddie Chambers Steals
The Show At Bally’s Atlantic City

By Tim Donaldson
Photos: Ray Bailey


Did Showtime make a mistake by not televising the Chambers, Rossy fight? In a word, yes. Without a doubt, this was the fight that generated the most excitement in the Bally’s Ballroom. Don George may have defeated Cornelius White in impressive fashion, and Rico Ramos may have won a hard fought decision against Alejandro Valdez, but Eddie Chambers showed that he can not only defeat Derric Rossy, for the second time, but also excite the crowd in attendance while doing so. But that’s not all that Chambers did, he also demonstrated his ability to think on his feet in the ring.

Chambers was by far the smaller fighter, two inches shorter and nearly thirty pounds lighter. Derric Rossy is 6 feet 3 inches and weighed in at 237 1/2 , compared to Chambers at 6 feet 1 inch weighing in at 208. Although a comparison with David and Goliath would be quite the stretch, Chambers looked small against Derric Rossy. So Chambers obviously could not go rushing in. Chambers would have to outsmart Rossy, make Rossy fight the way he, Eddie Chambers, wanted him to fight. In fact, the first few rounds played out more like a chess match than a boxing match. Eddie Chambers had an answer for every move Rossy made.

Some may call what Chambers was doing in the first round showboating, but what he was doing was pure psychology. Chambers came out smiling. He would move in to throw a jab. Then as Rossy was throwing his jab, Chambers would lean way back, causing Rossy to miss. Chambers did this again and again in the first round. Rossy threw more punches in that first round, but he landed few of them. Chambers game plan must have been working because as the second round got under way, you could hear Rossy’s corner yelling at him to not fight Chambers’ fight. Eddie Chambers was planning his shots carefully. He caught Rossy on the ropes in the second round. Rossy started going to the body more. When Rossy did land a shot, Chambers would start talking to him, just to let him know that he was not hurt.

The fight went on this way for the next couple rounds. Chambers was able once again to back Rossy to the ropes in the third round. Rossy battled his way off the ropes. Chambers fired a flurry of shots and finished off with an uppercut to the body. It went back and forth during the round, but the whole time Chambers kept talking, kept shaking his head when hit, and kept smiling. By the beginning of the fourth round, it looked as though things might turn Rossy’s way. He was throwing and landing his shots. Chambers was doing less bobbing and weaving. Then Chambers landed a combination to Rossy’s head. Blood was streaming from Rossy’s nose. Chambers landed another combination to the head. Rossy was trying to go to the body, but Chambers was staying covered up. Few of the shots were getting through.

At the start of the fifth round, Chambers was able to knock Rossy back. Chambers was throwing lots of combinations, and Rossy quickly found himself caught in the corner. Rossy kept firing back, but Chambers had successfully cut off the ring. Rossy just moved from one corner to the next, never getting his back off the ropes. Chambers controlled the action the whole round. Chambers stayed in control in the sixth round. Throwing a right, Chambers knocked Rossy to the canvas. Rossy got back up and signaled that he was ready to keep fighting. Chambers turned up the pressure. The entire round Rossy kept his back on the ropes. By the end of the round, Rossy was landing more, but it was already Chambers’ round.

By the seventh, it was obvious to the crowd that Chambers was well in control of this fight. Rossy’s fans would chant his name to try to get him back into this fight. But Rossy was looking tired by this round. Chambers was landing more precisioned punches, slipping them through Rossy’s defense. Rossy was still fighting corner to corner. At the start of the eighth, Chambers again rocked Rossy with a hard right. Chambers once again won this round. It looked as though the ninth round was going to be much like the eighth with Chambers once again pressuring Rossy to the ropes, but Rossy was able to turn Chambers and put him against the ropes. Chambers, however, did not stay there, and Rossy’s punches were lacking power. By the end of the round, blood was streaming from Rossy’s right eye. Chambers was once again stalking Rossy from one end of the ring to the next.

Chambers started out the fight smiling and just to prove that he was still happy with the way the fight was going, he came out in the tenth round smiling. Rossy appeared to have regained some of his energy in this round. But that might have been zapped after Chambers landed a low blow. After taking a timeout for this, Rossy once again found himself fighting against the ropes. Chambers was keeping the pressure on, making sure that Rossy could not get out of the corner. By the end of the round, Chambers was well on his way to winning another round. Chambers knocked Rossy back into the ropes, and it looked as though the ropes were the only thing keeping Rossy from going down. The bell rang, keeping Chambers from throwing any more punches, and Rossy was able to survive the round.

Chambers rocked Rossy again in the eleventh round. Rossy, wobbly, ran to the other side of the ring. Calmly, Chambers walked to him and continued the fight. Rossy, getting his legs back, looked much better in the twelfth round. He was throwing more and was fighting more in the center of the ring. But by the middle of the round, Rossy was back against the ropes. Chambers finished the round strong with a flurry of shots. Chambers won by unanimous decision. The scores were 115-112, 117-110, and 120-107.

The night started off with a fight between Southpaw Ricardo “Slicky Ricky” Williams and John Brown. Williams, a silver medalist in the 2000 Olympics, has had several layoffs in his career and had not fought in almost a year. Maybe that is why they picked John Brown as his opponent. Brown, 42, has lost his three fights, not winning a fight since 2009.

The first round started off with Williams showing his superior boxing skills. He was connecting his jabs early in the fight. Brown was trying to throw his right without throwing a jab. Williams was quickly putting his punches together, and Brown was showing wear early in the first round. By the middle of the round, Williams had cut off the ring and was keeping Brown’s back against the ropes.

Brown looked better in the second round. He was able to land a hard right early in the round, and he was landing more of his shots throughout the round. But Williams was still controlling the fight. By the third round, Williams was having little trouble with Brown. When Brown was throwing, he was unable to land his shots. Brown once again found himself on the ropes in the fourth round. His punches were having little effect on Williams. Williams' punches, however, were taking their toll on Brown. Near the end of the round, Williams staggered Brown with his left.

Brown had a brief flurry at the beginning of the fifth. Quickly, Williams turned this around, knocking Brown back. Brown’s corner throughout the round was telling him to step the other direction as Brown again and again stepped into William’s left hand. Williams finished the fight in impressive style. From the beginning he was controlling the action. He knocked Brown down with a left uppercut. Brown got back up. Williams knocked him back to the canvas with another left. The referee stopped the fight at 1:37 in the sixth round.

After the television wrapped up their broadcast, the final fight of the evening was held. Local fighter, Thomas Lamanna fought his pro debut. Within fifty-one seconds, Lamanna had his first professional win against Anthony Williams.


Schedule | Video | Audio | Photos | Ring Girls | P4P Top 10 | Shop | Links | Contact Us

© Pound4Pound.com