Pound4Pound, Boxing News


  Fists Fly At Fantasy Springs Casino:
Duno & Robles Battle To Victory

By Albert Castillo
Photos: William Trillo


Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Productions put together another excellent card at the Fantasy Springs Casino, in Indio California. In the main event Philippine fighter Romero Duno (20-1, 16 KO’s) captured the vacant World Boxing Organization NABO Lightweight Title by garnering a technical split decision win over Mexican slugger Juan Antonio “Mozo” Rodriguez (30-8, 26 KO’s).

This slugfest was one for the archives as both fighters battered each other’s faces with solid blows. Although Duno’s eyes were swollen Rodriguez was worse for the wear with several cuts under his eye and over his eyebrow.

In the seventh round a point was deducted from Duno for a low blow. In the eighth Duno dropped Rodriguez with a body shot. In the ninth round Rodriguez dropped to his knees as a result of an accidental headbutt. The resulting cut was bad enough for referee Caiz to call a halt to the contest sending the bout to the scorecards.

One judge had it for Rodriguez 85-84 while the other two gave it to Duno 86-83 and 85-84.

"Every time a Filipino fighter is in the ring with a Mexican fighter, it's always entertaining," said Duno. "I thank Rodriguez for taking this fight and giving a good performance. He has a good strong heart."

In the co-main event two undefeated warriors squared off for the NABF Featherweight Title. In a hotly contested bout Manny “Chato” Robles (18-0, 8 KO’s) of Los Angeles, CA, retained his NABF Featherweight Title by split decision over tough Mexican Rigoberto Hermosillo (11-1-1, 8 KO’s).

While Hermosillo came out intense and focused Robles was calm, cool, and relaxed. Hermosillo may have been a little too hyped up and tight as he got caught by a wicked Robles uppercut that dropped him right on his back in the first round.

Hermosillo got off the mat and began to pursue Robles. Hermosillo did his best work trapping Robles in the corner with tremendous body shots. Robles fought back and carefully and strategically circled the ring only to catch Hermosillo time and again with vicious counterpunches.

By the late rounds both fighters were marked. Hermosillo’s right eye was swollen and cut. Robles had a cut over his left eye. Each time the fighters mixed it up it was Robles who seemed to get the better of it. He was the stronger, faster fighter.

However, in the end one judge saw Hermosillo ahead 95-94. The other two judges gave Robles a much deserved win scoring it 97-93 and 96-93 giving Robles the victory.

Former top ten contender Carlos “The Solution” Morales (18-4-3, 7 KO’s) got back in the win column after losing his last two fights. He dominated an outclassed Pedro Navarrette ( 30-24-3, 19 KO’s) in typical Morales fashion.

Morales is light-hitting but a good boxer who relies on skill and technique to win. Tonight he chopped and diced Navarette with an accumulation of lefts and rights such that referee Raul Caiz Sr. had to stop the fight at 2:02 of the fifth round. Morales garnered his 18th win and 7th KO.

Super Featherweight Sean Garcia (4-0, 2 KO’s) of Victorville, CA continued his winning ways and remained undefeated as Martin Cardona Gonzales (26-20, 18 KO’s) sat on his stool and refused to come out for the third round.

Garcia was on point all night with crisp combinations that steadily got harder. By the end of the second round Garcia was putting everything into 1-2-3-4 combinations snapping back the head of Gonzales.

"This is great. I've been waiting for this moment for a long time," said Sean Garcia. "I'm ready for a promoter to take my career to the next level."

Super Lightweight prospect out of San Diego, CA Genaro “El Conde” Gamez (9-0 6 KO’s) dropped Mexican fighter, Daniel Evangelista Jr. (20-10-2, 16 KO’s) twice in the first round, the second of which he did not get up, to earn his ninth win and sixth by knockout.

An entertaining first round saw Gamez drop Evangelista with a straight hand. Evangelista got up and appeared angry. He attacked Gamez catching Gamez with a right hand of his own. Gamez then became a man possessed as he nailed Evangelista with a right hand and then connected with a brutal left hook that laid out Evangelista on his back.

There was no coming back from that punch and the referee stopped the contest before even counting to ten at 2:43 of the first round. Gamez looked good, remains undefeated, and is ready to step up his competition. We wish him the best! I feel happy, said Genaro Gamez.

"I feel excited. I got the knockout. We don't usually go for it but we got it. Of course I can still make 135 if there's a championship fight. There were personal things in the past, and that's why I was inactive. But that's behind me, and I'm coming back stronger."

What happened to Tenochtitlan Nava (7-2, 1 KO)? The super featherweight up and comer out of Los Angeles, CA, started his career on the fast track with seven straight wins. After losing his last fight by knockout he definitely was not himself tonight.

He faced veteran Mexican pugilist Diuhl Olguin (14-12, 9 KO’s) who appeared to be here just as an opponent. However, he became confident when he saw that Nava was not trying to dominate him.

In the first round Olguin began to open up when Nava did not return fire. Nava had trouble getting off and when he did it was in short spurts. Olguin was steady but seemed to push many of his punches. Nava covered up most of the fight with Olguin splitting Nava’s guard from time to time.

The fight was close and in the end one judge had it even 57-57. The other two judges had 58-56, and 59-55 in favor of Diuhl Olguin.

"I'm proud for having scored a victory," said Diuhl Olguin. "I won this fight with a broken hand. I'm proud that I could get the win with just one hand."

In the opening bout of the evening welterweight Kevin Anton (1-0, 1 KO) out of Palmdale, CA, making his pro debut made short work of New York fighter Lashawn Alcocks (1-6). Anton captured Alcocks in the corner and rained nearly 30 unanswered punches until the referee stopped the contest at .53 seconds of the second round.

Anton was a punching machine who shows good promise. "It feels amazing to make my pro debut," said Kevin Anton. "It's been a long time coming. We're finally here, and we're going to make some noise."


Home | Main | Reports | Video | Audio | Photos | Ring Girls | P4P Top 10 | Links | Contact

© Pound4Pound.com